From vision to mission
In 2016, we began to restructure the company's activities to reflect the principles of sustainability and to make initial preparations to establish a professional sustainability management system at Wernsing.
The sustainability teams jointly defined the cornerstones of the strategy and the management team decided on an initial high-level guideline with the motto "Doing business sustainably - shaping the future". All the important aspects of this strategy have now been put in place and serve as a guiding principle for defining the goals through our daily work.
In 2017, when we were first certified according to the ZNU Standard- Driving Sustainable Change, we established an integrated management system to ensure that the company is focused on sustainability. The standard also mandates sustainability targets, which are determined by the company. They are geared towards the short and long term and underpin our day-to-day activities.
Nominated for sustainability
Wernsing is one of the nominees for the 16th German Sustainability Award 2024 (DNP) in the food and beverage sector. This award honours the most groundbreaking contributions to transformation towards a sustainable future. It shows the best examples of how ecological and social progress can be achieved more quickly. The nomination for the DNP award confirms Wernsing's pioneering role and is the result of both a sustainability evaluation and the assessment by expert juries.
Hungry for more? www.deutscher-nachhaltigkeitspreis.de/unternehmen
Our focus on key areas for action
In the framework of our sustainability management, a materiality matrix has been drawn up every year since 2017. This defines the key aspects for the company and includes an evaluation of how much influence can be exerted from inside and outside the company. This matrix forms the foundation for the sustainability goals and determines the yearly orientation of many departments with regard to investments, project planning and activities.
An overview of our many initiatives:
- Digitalisation and automation of processes
- Paperless document management system
- Efficient production processes due among other things to the introduction of shop floor management
- January 2023: Commitment to set targets according to the guidelines of the Science Based Targets initiative.
- Certified energy management since 2013
- Certification to ZNU Standard - Driving Sustainable Change since 2017
- Use of 100% guaranteed green electricity
- Our own waste disposal centre including a biogas plant
- CHP plants, photovoltaic plants, heat recovery plants, heat concept including heat storage facility
- Sustainable sourcing of raw materials and packaging
- Comprehensive waste management (recycling, returns); use of reusable packaging systems
- ClimatePartner certified company
2023: Construction of a biomass heating plant for steam generation
- Ratio of trainees to qualified staff of approx. 10%, with over 100 trainees
- TOP training certification from the Oldenburg Chamber of Industry and Commerce (IHK)
- Ongoing vocational training including master craftsman courses, further education, language courses and advanced specialist training
- A range of benefits such as health premiums, pension schemes, etc.
- Social engagement committee
- Partnership-based relationship with our external stakeholders
- Support for local projects