A range of individual recipes, spice mixtures and packaging sizes: the diversity that characterises Wernsing's product portfolio also means that the company needs many different raw materials - especially vegetables - for production.
In 2019, around 50 % of all raw materials and packaging materials were purchased from the region within a radius of 100 kilometres of the Addrup headquarters. The resulting efficiency in the yield of raw materials is an important part of our sustainable production.
Our central guiding principle for environmentally friendly and sustainable action is "avoid, reduce, recycle". We have committed to continuously improving our energy-related performance and to steadily reducing the environmental impact of our operations.
An efficient and energy-optimised production process is essential to be able to produce food in a resource-effecient and sustainable manner. For many years now, we have focused in particular on operational energy management. It is our intention to continuously reduce the consumption of electricity, gas, and water, and to increase energy efficiency.
- Reliable, long-term and close partnerships with our suppliers and a comprehensive supplier management programme
- In 2019, 100% of the potatoes used by Wernsing came from controlled and certified sources such as GLOBALG.A.P.
- Membership and involvement in various initiatives (for example SAI, EUPPA), partner networks (ZNU) and other forums
- Certified energy management in accordance with DIN EN ISO 50001
- Green energy: since 2019, 100 % of externally purchased electricity has come from renewable sources
- We have our own waste processing plant
- Biogas and photovoltaic plants as well as CHP plants (combined heat and power generation)
- A perfectly coordinated logistics concept linking production, warehouse and logistics
- We always try to guarantee optimal truck utilisation and route planning in our logistics department
- Installation of nesting boxesfor peregrine falcons at the central warehouse in cooperation with the nature conservation association Naturschutzbund (NABU) Bakum and the organisation for the protection of peregrine falcons Wanderfalkenschutz Nordseeküste (AWN) Oldenburg
- Insect hotels for our factory premises and for our contract partners in agriculture, which were produced in cooperation with the St. Elisabeth Foundation, an institution for the care of the disabled and the elderly, in nearby Lastrup.
- The " Blooming Landscape" project: in collaboration with our contract farmers, flowering strips with a total area of about 16 hectares were integrated into the agricultural landscape in 2019
Did you know?
- We receive 17,500 individual deliveries of potatoes each year (based on 2019).
- Through optimisations in the value chain we achieved annual savings of more than 14,000 tonnes of CO2 for our raw material potatoes.
October 2020 – a climate neutral company!
With a comprehensive portfolio of climate neutral products.
Following the successful reduction of ourCO2 emissions by 42 % between 2012 and 2018 through the use of new technologies and the change to green electricity, for example, we have now taken the next step: total compensation of all unavoidable emissions.
This success has only been achievable because the company began to address the challenge as early as 2002. The energy management system has been certified according to DIN EN ISO 50001 since 2007. The purchase of efficient production systems, the conservation of resources at all levels and the use of 100 % certified green electricity have been part of the company's sustainable management practices for many years.
Since 2018, we have conducted an annual site climate evaluation in accordance with the GHG Protocol in collaboration with the certified consulting firm ClimatePartner. We were already a 20 % climate-neutral company in 2018. We constantly strive to reduce and avoid emissions. We compensate for unavoidable emissions by supporting three climate protection projects:
- Clean cooking stoves, Ghana
- Solar energy, India
- Forest protection, Brasil
You can find further information here: https://fpm.climatepartner.com/tracking/13190-1906-1001/de
The label „climate neutral“ as well as our certificate with its unique ID number ensure transparency. This ClimatePartner process, certified by TÜV Austria, stands for security and credibility in climate protection.
- We intend to reduce our CO2 emissions by more than 70% per tonne of finished product by 2025 as compared with 2012.
- A reduction of 23.5% in total energy consumption per tonne of output between 2012 and 2025.
- The promotion of sustainable cultivation of our raw materials as part of our commitment to the SAI (Sustainable Agriculture Initiative).
"Working Together for a Blooming Landscape"
Agriculture & Wernsing Feinkost