Our guiding principle for environmentally friendly and sustainable action is ‘refrain, reduce, recycle’. We are committed to continually improving our energy-related performance and steadily reducing environmental pollution. To this end, we have introduced an energy management system according to ISO 50001 and successfully implemented various ecologically sound projects.
Through these and other measures, we were able to significantly reduce our energy consumption: while the production volume at Wernsing rose by 120 percent in the last 16 years, the total energy consumption rose by only 30 percent during the same period.
And, of course, we have other goals for the future.
- At our location in Addrup, a photovoltaic system was installed, which produces CO2-neutral energy with a total output of 430.5 kWp (the peak power of photovoltaic modules is given in the unit kWp (kilowatt peak)).
- In addition, we also operate two highly efficient cogeneration plants, which supply about 35 percent of the electrical energy required for our production.
- A biogas plant provides additional regenerative energy. Biogas is produced exclusively from biological residues that are generated during our food production.
- Reduction of the packaging material by 10 percent per kilogram of finished product by 2020
- Commitment to the Sustainable Agriculture Initiative (SAI) to further promote the sustainable cultivation of raw materials